Monday, July 27, 2026

Quick And Messy Eliza

I mostly painted her up very quickly at a hobby hangout, with just a few finishing touches and the dip/varnish at home later. Probably less than three hours painting time alltogether, which is super fast for me and I think it shows. I don't think she looks all that good - I'm pretty sure I'm getting worse at eyes, not better, and I just scribbled on some nonsense that would be charitable to call highlights. The dip was lazy but good enough considering the rest of it wasn't that great. So yeah, not a great model, but it was nice to actually finish something quickly with little effort and have it at least tabletop-acceptable. I guess.


Eliza Maza
The model is by Alex at Prey Studios, who does some really great non-human models (cartoon characters like the Gargoyles, Thundercats and TMNT, movie monsters, etc). She was printed then primed matt black.

I painted the skin in Two Thin Coats 10025 Barbarian Brawn and highlighted it with Two Thin Coats 10026 Dwarven Skin. One of the skin colour (I don't remember which) was mixed with Formula P3 Murderous Magenta for the lips. The shirt and belt are Vallejo 70.950 Model Color Black. The jeans were The Army Painter WP1115 Warpaints Ultramarine Blue highlighted with The Army Painter WP1113 Warpaints Electric Blue. The leather is Two Thin Coats 10029 Boar Hide highlighted with Reaper Master Series 09225 Core Colors Redstone Highlight, then the jacket and shoes were glazed with Citadel Shade Carroburge Crimson. The hair was Vallejo Black drybrushed with Electric Blue. The eyebrows were black highlighted with Electric Blue, but they're probably too thick and the pure Electric Blue was too much, overall they look bad. Eyes were just Vallejo black and Formula P3 Morrow White, and I just couldn't get them to not look dumb. The belt buckle and police badge were picked out in Scalecolor SC-92 Victorian Brass (which was too dark for the badge, I should have gone brighter). The base was just Vallejo 71.122 Model Air US Desert Armour 686, which doesn't really feel right but I couldn't think of anything better without going darker than I was feeling like going.

I dipped the model in The Army Painter Quickshade Dip Strong Tone, carefully cleaning up any pooling. After a couple of days I airbrushed it with Mr. Hobby Mr. Color GX 113 UVCut Flat. I was having issues with the cheap easy-to-clean single-action airbrushes I usually use for things like primers and varnishes, so I gave up and used my precious H&S Ultra 2024 double-action airbrush, hoping that it wouldn't be harmed by the enamel varnish and stronger solvents I would need to use to clean it. This was my first time running varnish through this airbrush, and I guess I messed up because the model ended up looking slightly frosted. I think I had my compressor set to maximum pressure (about 40kpsi) while trying to get the cheap airbrushes to actually do something, and that seems to have caused an issue with when spraying the varnish through the Ultra. I turned it down to 20kpsi for subsequent models and felt like that was working much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment