Wednesday, January 10, 2024

The Double-Team

This was my first two-monster game of Monsterpocalypse. Since I don't have any faction with two painted monsters, I went for the classic team-up: the two monarchs, King and Khan! Karas was running Sky Sentinel and the typical fifteen Guard units, so I chose my four Bellowers for ranged attacks, four Carnidons and four Assault Apes to leverage Khan and Kondo's Blood Rage, the Pteradactix and the Command Ape for some movement tricks, and my cute little Brontox to help me push my lines up the board.

Game 1:
Karas won the roll and chose to go first. Again we treated all the buildings as apartment blocks. The triple foundations scared me so I tried to avoid filling them.

Karas made sure to grab some buildings and power nodes, while I focused more on getting models out and pushing them up the board.

Defender and Sentinel shot down a couple of high-priority units.

I tried to position my monsters to be hard to line up with.

We pushed up our units again.

Defender and Sentinel chained their throws to knock Khan into Hyper. I think Sky Sentinel took a point of damage for stepping into the hazard, which he shouldn't have.

Khan hit Defender with a melee attack with Super damage, then threw him into two buildings for five damage with another point of Super damage, for 8 damage total. Kondo then took damage to step into two hazards to throw Defender into another building, for three more damage, one-rounding him from full!

Karas split some attacks between Khan and some units, not quite managing to break Khan's DEF.

I responded by combining some melee attacks into Sentinel (I don't remember if they hit though).

Sentinel threw Khan into a building.

Khan returned the favour, then Kondo took another point of damage to line up for a power attack, but I think he missed the attack.

Karas focussed all his units to make two attacks on Khan; one hit, leaving Khan on one health.

Sentinel took his Rapid Fire attack into Khan, finishing him off, then threw Kondo into a Hazard. Kondo bounced away from the flames.

At this point Kondo was very low on health; I didn't want to take any more damage from stepping into hazards, and I didn't want to make it easy for Sentinel to land more power attacks, so I moved him to a safer position and used a Swat to throw a Strike Fighter into Sentinel.

Karas sent in his Strike Fighters to swarm Kondo, doing another point of damage.

I tried to get some damage onto Sentinel with my units, but with Khan gone the Terrasaurs were no longer getting Blood Rage and my Apes were all on the table and too far to help out, so I wasn't able to break his DEF of 9.

Sky Sentinel used Rapid Fire and a Fling to put two more points of damage on Kondo, leaving him on one health. Kondo could only do one damage in return with a single Fling.

History repeated itself once more as a swarm of human planes gunned the majestic beast down. Truly, it was human engineering that killed the beast.


Damn, that 11-damage turn was insane. We both thought it was basically over after that, but with no buildings left on that side of the board Sky Sentinel was able to live long enough to finish off the wounded Terra Khan, leaving him in a slow battle of attrition against King Kondo. With two attacks a turn and an army getting extra boost dice, against Kondo's limited one-on-one tools and no units able to take advantage of his buffs, I slowly fell behind, and Karas was able to grind out a win.

I don't really "get" King Kondo; I can see how he has a bit of extra survivability, and High Mobility helped to set up combos, but he just feels to me like he's missing a rule or two. I was a bit starved for power at times; I didn't focus enough on generating power with my units, and I kept forgetting about Kondo's Riled. I also struggle to make the most of melee units; ranged attacks are just easier to get value out of, even if they can struggle a bit with Cover.

While actually running Kondo and Khan alongside each other was very cool and thematic, it felt a little awkward in terms of unit selections and buffs. I dunno, I guess mono-faction just feels more natural to me right now. Guess I need to paint some more monsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment