Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Monkeying Around Town

Karas brought out his new Monsterpocalypse G.U.A.R.D. army for a spin, opting to try Sky Sentinel. I decided to run my Apes for a change.

Game 1:
I won the roll and took first turn. We played all the buildings as apartment blocks; someday we'll actually use the building rules...
I brought in my flying apes first to take space... which didn't make much sense since they're the same speed as the gunners. Karas brought in his flyers because they get buffed by Sky Sentinel.

True to form, Kondo grabbed a plane out of the air and threw it at another unit.

Sky Sentinel hit Kondo with a blast but kept his distance.

My units killed some of his.

His units killed some of mine.

Kondo finally got his oversized opposable-thumbed-hands onto Sky Sentinel, slamming him into a building.

Sentinel repositioned and threw Kondo back, but Kondo bounced right back into his face, just to send a message.

Our units continued their battle over the center of the board.

With no buildings nearby, I decided to reposition. Kondo moved away, Swatting a unit into Sky Sentinel then stepping away a bit.

Sky Sentinel gave chase, throwing Kondo into a building. Kondo bounced to his feet to clear a power node.

I tried to run a fancy play, using the Rocket Ape and Command Ape to clear three units and repo back onto a power node, but I missed the third attack and couldn't step back onto the node.

Kondo slammed Sentinel again.

Sentinel retaliated with a throw first to generate a couple of extra power dice, before using them to power a blast attack to finish Kondo off.


Sky Sentinel seems a bit straight-forwards, but decent. Offensive stats might be a bit weak, but his higher SPD and DEF are nice. I'm not really feeling Kondo though. His damage output feels very low, with no extra attacks or super damage. Blood Rage is fine, but I never used it; it's easier to target models with blast attacks, especially when my melee units are a little slow and I don't have any movement tricks to deliver them. I feel like Grappler and Tantrum could be good defensive tech in two-monster games to prevent my opponent from lining up high-power turns, but neither of them did much here.

Anyway, I think we've reached the point where everyone understands the game well enough that we can start using two monsters each. That should make things interesting. I just wish I had time to paint up more of my monsters, so I could run two monsters while still playing mono-faction. Well, Khan and Kondo make a thematic pair themselves, so that's fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment