Sunday, September 24, 2023

It's The Super Damage That Gets You

I played another game against Contwrath's Savage Swarm, a rematch between Xixorax and Terra Khan.

The Game:
I won the roll and chose to go first. As usual I focussed on bringing out Bellowers first, and this time I remembered to secure buildings and power zones.
I advanced Terra Khan to blast away an insect on a power node.
Xixorax moved up to punch a dino.
I used a Ram attack for the first time ever, putting a point of damage on Xixorax.
Xixorax threw Terra Khan into a building.
I advanced my dinosaurs, but couldn't get my melee units into very much.
A big combined attack into Khan...
... that whiffed hard!
Khan threw Xixorax into a building.
Xixorax had to resort to slamming Khan into a hazard. Khan had enough power dice to roll right into a second monster turn, throwing Xixorax into a building again.
Our units didn't get much done; the swarm whiffed a second combined attack into Khan.
Despite being down on health, Xixorax threw Khan into a building and a hazard, with a little extra Super Damage to seal the deal, cinching the win.

This time I paid attention to my power generation, but did so at the expense of moving my units up, leaving Terra Khan overextended without support. It didn't help that I spawned my ranged units first, then kept them back to hold buildings rather than pushing them up to be in range to do work. Still, thanks to strong power generation allowing me to take a back-to-back monster turn I was in the lead, with 5 health on Khan to 3 on Xixorax. But Xixorax has Super Damage on his power attacks in Hyper, which was just enough to pull off the win. Of course Khan also has a way to do Super Damage - possibly twice in a turn in Hyper Mode - but my units were so far back I just couldn't find an opportunity to get them next to Xixorax to trigger the Super Damage. Perhaps I need to summon my fast Raptix first and run them up, possibly using Hop (which I only just now remembered that they have) to move them into position to help Khan. Well, I feel like I'm learning every game, though I'm not sure the knowledge has coalesced into actual skill at the game yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment