Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Actually Trying To Use The Rules

I got to play a game with Contwrath, who decided to buy in to Monsterpocalypse. He just received his models, so for now we used my stuff. He chose the Empire of the Apes, and I went for the good old Terrasaurs.


The Game:
We tried to pay more attention to model special rules this time, as well as actually using Cover and Terrain rules (which I've always forgotten or ignored until now). We stuck with basic appartment buildings though. I won the roll and chose to go first.
Pretty standard deployments.
I destroyed a building for funsies.
As did he.
My units start creeping up the sides.
His move up to meet them.
I start chipping away at Kondo with a blast attack.
Kondo responds with a brawl attack.
I take a second monster turn and nail Kondo with a Swat.
He does not activate Kondo again, going for a unit turn.
I knock a couple of his units off the power zones.
Despite this, by his next Monster turn Kondo is FULLY POWERED UP!
He still misses his Swat attack against Khan though...
I throw Kondo into a building, but he kills two of my units with a Tantrum.
The Apes push back against the Terrasaur units.
I send in reinforcements.
Kondo slams Khan for four damage, but is thrown into a building.
The Apes keep pushing for power zones.
As do the Saurians.
Kondo slams Khan into the double foundation again.
And Khan throws him back again.
With both monsters on just one health, the Ape units focus on Khan.
Throwing all the dice they can into a single attack, they get all the strikes!
"Not like this!" Khan goes down to a volley of gunfire!


We started a bit slow as Contwrath refreshed his memory on the rules. I feel like we both made better use of the units this game than in my previous games, securing buildings and jostling for power nodes etc. The monster side of the battle was a little subdued, partly because the units started to get in the way so we ended up not moving the monsters around very much. Overall it was a very fun game that I felt was was a bit more technical and a bit less "YOLO!" than some previous games, which makes sense when we were spending more time checking rules and so on. Still need to get that fourth Protectors monster painted...

No comments:

Post a Comment