Tuesday, July 16, 2019

You Can't Kill What's Already Dead

I played a 1000 point game of 40K the other day. I didn't take photos and I'm not going to write a proper battle report as it probably wouldn't be a very interesting read (plus I don't exactly things in great detail as I was busy trying to understand the rules), but it was fun so I'm just going to give a quick summary.

I was running some old Marines I had lying around (mainly Black Reach models) under the old Raven Guard chapter tactics (which apparently no longer exist):
Chaplain in Terminator armour (Storm bolter)
10 Tactical Marines (bolt pistol & chainsword on the sarge, rocket launcher)
6 Scouts (sniper rifles, rocket launcher)
5 Vanguard Veterans (thunder hammer & storm shield on the sarge)
7 Terminators
2 Venerable Dreadnoughts (twin lascannon, twin autocannon)

I played against Gru, who had a beautiful fully painted Necron army with two units of basic troops, one unit of guys with slighter stronger guns, two characters, and three Wraiths.

Basically we stood and shot at each other for five turns. I brought down my Terminators and Vets around his units; the Vets failed a charge, got shot at, then got charged right through a building by Wraiths. The grunts were wiped out almost immediately, but the Sarge killed two Wraiths over the course of several rounds and would have killed the third if Gru hadn't saved him by rerolling a save with a command point. The Terminators did a lot of shooting, eventually got into melee, then got wiped out. The Tac Marines eventually got gunned down. The Snipers did almost nothing all game and were completely ignored. The Dreads killed a few Necron grunts.


I killed a few Necrons each turn, but they kept coming back; I think by the end there only six or seven dead Necron grunts (certainly less than 10). Thankfully the Wraiths stayed dead, but not before they cleared one of my objectives. This left me scoring one objective and Gru scoring two, for his win.

So yeah, not a hell of a lot of maneuvering or anything, just a lot of rolling dice. I'm pretty sure I messed up a lot of rules (I think I repeatedly forgot to add negative hit modifiers for thunder hammers and moving with heavy weapons etc, but I may also have forgotten to reroll failed wound rolls with the Chaplain, so maybe it all balances out), but hey, it was a learning experience. I didn't enjoy it as much Warmachine, but it was still fun to hang out with friends, throw dice around, and (occasionally) push some toy soldiers around.

No comments:

Post a Comment