Sunday, June 13, 2021

Actually Reading The Cards This Time

This was my second game of Monsterpocalypse, and Speedy's first. We actually read the cards this time, and at least tried to use the models' special rules. Speedy picked the giant robot, leaving me with the lizards.

Terra Khan
Carnidons x4
Bellowers x4
Raptix x4
Spikodon
Brontox
Pteradactix

Defender X
G-Tanks x4
Strike Fighters x4
Exo-Armours x4
Repair Truck
MR-Tank
Rocket Chopper

While in my last game I was able to take my time and explain the rules by demonstrating them in a logical progression, Speedy was in too much of a hurry and kept bombarding me with questions about rules before I could demonstrate them. As a result (that's right, I'm blaming this on you Speedy!) I kept forgetting to take photos between turns.
Anyway, long story short: Speedy had some pretty cold dice at first but still managed to grab an early lead by slamming Khan into two buildings at the same time, for 5 points of damage in a single turn. I managed to make up the difference with some combined attacks from by Bellowers, and by the end both monsters were just a single power attack away from going down. In desperation, with only three action die left in his monster pool, Speedy took a second Monster turn for a long-shot power attack to slam Khan into a building. He narrowly landed the attack, sacrificing his own tank but winning the game.

Speedy picked up the game almost immedately, and seemed to enjoy it. Actually reading the rules, we did feel that Terra Khan seemed significantly more powerful than Defender X. I wonder if Defender X might have more value as a second monster; a bit of power die efficiency and a ranged attack that can cause extra damage might have value in a two-monster game, whereas Khan feels like a dice-hog with his very high action dice attack values in his Hyper form.

Hopefully it won't take too long to get another couple of monsters painted up, as I'm eager to play the full-sized game.

No comments:

Post a Comment