Saturday, May 15, 2021

Monsterpocalypse Now

I finally got to play Monsterpocalypse. I roped in my friends Neo and Fish; we'd played King of Tokyo before and they'd enjoyed it so I figured they might be interested in a more... three-dimensional Kaiju game. It was definitely nice to have a table covered with only coloured models and no raw primer or anything for a change.

I got the G.U.A.R.D.:
Defender X
G-Tanks x4
Strike Fighters x4
Exo-Armours x4
Repair Truck
MR-Tank
Rocket Chopper

Neo and Fish cooparated to run the Terrasaurs:
Terra Khan
Carnidons x4
Bellowers x4
Raptix x4
Spikodon
Brontox
Pteradactix


Pre-Game:
We pretty much decided to ignore all of the model special rules (except I think Flight and High Mobility as those seemed to fairly intrinsic to movement), focussing on just the core rules. I said I would go first so I could demonstrate each rule first. So we put down our buildings and monsters and got started.

Round 1:
We spawned units and advanced, figuring out spawning and movement. I explained how their Bellower could shoot at my Strike Fighter. The attack was successful.

Round 2 & 3:
I advanced Defender X, stepped, and punched a building down, so we could talk about stepping, attacking, and earning power die. Terra Khan knocked a building down. I think a combined attack from the Terrasaur units took down another building, while three of my units secured a building on my side of the table.

Round 4:
Now we got to explore power attacks. Defender body-slammed Khan onto one of his units, then Khan threw Defender back into a building across the city. I decided not Push my monster dice this turn.

Round 5:
As I had still had five dice in my Monster pool and could go back up to three or four Power Dice in the Power Phase, I rolled directly into a second Monster Phase, using Defender to body-slam Khan. Stupidly I took as much damage as he did as I ended up stepping onto a Hazard in order to line up with him. The Terrasaurs needed a Unit turn to recharge their dice, destroying a building on the right with a combined Brawl attack.

Round 6:
This turn I brought in the MR tank and tried a combined Blast attack into Khan, but missed by one. Khan activated and body-slammed Defender into another building before Stepping away.

Round 7:
I wanted to try a Fling attack, so Defender grabbed a Bellower and used it to bean Khan in the head. The Terrasaur units destroyed another building.

Round 8:
Defender failed a Brawl attack against Khan, then finally went down to a body slam.

Post-Mortem:
I think the core rules were reasonably quick to grasp. I liked the variety and thematic nature of the power attacks; the battle between the monsters played out a lot like an old movie, in that there was a lot of slamming and throwing each other into buildings. There is a huge difference between the damage dealt from a normal attack and from landing a successful power attack into a building; perhaps even too big a difference, in that normal attacks almost felt pointless. Of course we didn't even look at most of the special rules, so I don't know how much they will change things. I found that it could be difficult to line up power attacks sometimes, especially when units get in the way. I feel like the game might be a bit too simple with just one monster each side, I'm sure two monsters a side will play very differently and demand more strategy. We were typically using all our dice every turn, especially our power dice, but that was clearly excessive, making more efficient use of dice is something I'd need to get used to. I feel like it'll take me a lot longer to figure out how best to use unit turns; my units did very little this game as once they had grabbed a few power nodes I didn't feel too much incentive to do anything with them. Plus there were times when my own units felt like they were in my own way a little bit.

Overall I'm starting to get a sense of the game's depth, but it hasn't really clicked for me yet. I'll need to play more games using the actual special rules, although that would probably be easier if I didn't run too many types of units at the same time. And I haven't even considered messing around with buildings with special rules yet...

Anyway, here's some fancy photos we took mid-game:

No comments:

Post a Comment