Monday, August 3, 2020

Lazy Lizards


Some time back I prepped all my Monsterpocalypse Terrasaur units, figuring they would be quick to paint. Then I got real busy. UNTIL NOW!


I wasn't really invested in these guys, so I decided to try to paint them as quickly and lazily as possible. I used three passes with an airbrush to try to create the gradient, picked out a few details by hand, then dunked them in Quickshade. I think I got all the actual painting done for all four models within around two hours; I'm pretty sure that's a record for me!


Other than the crappy-looking eyes I actually think these guys look decent, and the eyes are so small that they will be barely visible on the table anyway. So overall I would consider this an acceptable tabletop-level paint scheme. Nothing to be proud of, but good enough for models that are gaming pieces first and foremost. And the speed with which they came together is actually very encouraging for me; I've not been motivated to paint much due to how long it takes me, so knowing that I can actually paint fast if I decide to makes me happy.


Colours:
After priming white I airbrushed on a basecoat of Formula P3 Menoth White Base. I then airbrushed Formula P3 Rucksack Tan down from around a 45 angle, followed by Citadel Layer Doombull Brown from directly above, to try to get that reptilian "lighter belly scales" look. I must have either screwed up the paint consistency or the airflow (or both), because instead of smooth coats I ended up with very obvious splatters of the darker colours:



Which I figured actually didn't look too bad; the reference image I was working from (a velociraptor from Jurassic Park) had a spotted colour scheme so I decided this fit well enough and just went with it.

I picked out the claws and teeth in Formula P3 Menoth White Highlight. The inside of the mouth was Formula P3 Ryn Flesh. I initially tried painting the eyes in Vallejo 72.005 Game Color Moon Yellow to match the yellow eyes in my reference image, but it didn't stand out so I switched to Citadel Layer Moot Green instead, with a dot of Vallejo 70.950 Model Color Black from the pupils.

I dunked them in The Army Painter Quickshade Strong Tone dip/varnish and flicked off the excess, rather than carefully applying it with a brush the way I normally would. To my surprise only one of them went flying across the room in the process! And somehow the paint wasn't even damaged! Amazing!

Finally, after leaving them a day to dry I airbrushed on a generous layer of Vallejo 26.518 Matt Acrylic Varnish. Once that was dry enough I glued them onto some round 25mm clear acrylic bases, rather than the square bases they come with, to make them usable in different games if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment